Hey dudes, welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by.
If this is your first time here, we cover two things Fighting Broke:
- How to move out to Los Angeles — even if you have no money, no apartment, and don’t “know anybody”
- How to land your first job in Los Angeles
- How to accelerate your rise as a future Hollywood power player (if that’s what you want)
No, I’m not a Hollywood player myself. You won’t find my name in the trades, or my credit on IMDB.
I’m a Hollywood assistant who shares specific tips and strategies he’s learned in the trenches.
“What sort of tips and strategies?”
So glad you asked. Here are some things we’ve covered so far:
Moving to LA
- How to Move to LA – this is an 8-post series that covers how much you need to save to move to LA, how much your apartment will cost, and what to expect in your first month in LA.
- Can You Move to LA with $5,000?
- How to Save Money in LA
- How to Get Health Insurance
Getting Started [Years 1-2]
- How Hollywood Works: TV – a project to compile all the information you need to know about television in one place
- Turn Your Internship into a Job
- Get Your First Job — by listening to podcasts
- 3 Quick & DIrty Interview Tips For a HW Desk
- How to Be an Awesome Assistant
Early Career [Years 3-4]
- How to Deal with Your Job – part of my “Zen Assistant” series, I cover staying cool no matter the circumstance and developing “bulletproof” skin
- How to Survive 80 Hour Weeks
- Salary Negotiation Tips
- Networking Tips
- How to Quit Your Job
My Favorite Posts
- Lose Battles, Win Wars: Lessons from Game of Thrones, Nikki Durkin and Miley Cyrus
- What If I Missed My Chance to Work On A Television Show?
- Showrunner’s Assistant or Writer’s Assistant? Advice from a Producer on Mad Men
Or for the ambitious, you can start with the first post and work to the present.